FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHEN IS THE TRIP?
April 6 to April 20th.
ARE THERE AGE LIMITS?
Anyone from the ages of 18 to 65 is welcome to join us.
HOW FIT DO I NEED TO BE?
You don't need to be able to run a marathon but some of the work will be quite physical and there'll be a lot of walking.
WHERE AM I GOING?
You will be volunteering on a 1250 acre wildlife conservation area called Ukuwela that Wild Tomorrow Fund is in the process of saving.
Ukuwela is in the province of Kwazulu-Natal (Zululand), on the east coast of South Africa. You'll fly into Durban Airport. Ukuwela is a 3 hour drive from Durban. Umkhumbi lodge, where you'll be staying, is a 10 minute drive from the land.
HOW MUCH IS THE TRIP?
The total price of the trip is $3500.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS PRICE?
- Pick-up and drop-off from Durban airport
- 11 nights of accommodation at Umkhumbi lodge
- 2 nights of accommodation at the Tented Camp
- Breakfast and evening meal at Umkhumbi lodge
- Packed lunch
- 4 days of guided recreation
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
- Flights to Durban, South Africa
- Spending money
- Personal insurance
HOW MUCH ARE FLIGHTS?
Flights from the US to Durban are approximately $1500 - $1700.
HOW MUCH SPENDING MONEY SHALL I BRING?
That depends on how expensive your tastes are, but count on needing between $100 and $500 for souvenirs, and incidentals.
HOW DO I PAY?
We require a deposit of $1000 at the time you confirm your spot. The remainder of the money is payable two months before departure. Payments can be made via our paypal account, credit card or personal check. If you're using our crowdfunding platform, the money will be sent to us from them. More on this in the question below.
WHAT IF I WANT TO RAISE THE MONEY THROUGH DONATIONS?
That's a great way to pay for your trip. For those that want to do this we'll provide you with your very own page on crowdrise.com. On your crowdrise page you'll be able to reach out to your friends and family, describe what you'll be doing, and tell them why it is so important that they donate to your trip.
IS THE TRIP TAX DEDUCTIBLE?
While we are not able to offer tax advice, the following link from the IRS it states that your travel expenses, including airfare, lodging, and meals are tax deductible. The 4 days that you are not working are not be tax deductible.
Here's the IRS link
WHAT IS WILD TOMORROW FUND'S TAX ID?
Our Tax ID (Employee Identification Number) is 47-2756880.
HOW MANY VOLUNTEERS ARE ON THE TRIP?
You will be one of 10 volunteers.
HOW DO I CONFIRM MY SPACE?
Please visit the Sign Up page on this site to reserve your space. No payment is required. You can also email or phone us any time.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING?
For part of your time we will be volunteering with us on Ukuwela. Some of the tasks include removing alien plant species, dismantling old fencing, erecting new fencing, collecting data from camera traps, biodiversity surveys and sweeping the land for wire snares.
WILL I GET DAYS OFF?
Yes, you'll have at least 4 days of play time. While we cannot guarantee all the activities, they will definitely include at least 2 game drives on neighboring reserves. These reserves have just about every African animal you can think of including elephants, rhinos, lions, and cheetah. Other activities that you may go on include a visit to the stunning Sodwana Bay beach and touring local Zulu communities. We'll be your tour guides for these 4 days. Be assured, whatever you do on these days, you'll go home with life-long memories. Here's more info on your time off.
WHERE WILL I BE STAYING?
You will stay 10 of the 13 nights at Umkhumbi lodge in one of their chalets. Each chalet sleeps two volunteers. If you know someone else that's going you're welcome to share with them. If you're traveling alone, we'll team you up with someone from the same sex. During your stay at the lodge, you will eat breakfast and dinner at the restaurant. Packed lunches will be provided. There's also a bar and pool!
You'll spend 2 nights at our tented camp on the land. The tents hold x people. We'll pack food for you which will include braiis (barbecues) around an open fire.
You'll spend 1 night at Kosi Bay Lodge. This is Umkhumbi Lodge's other location close to a beautiful beach.
Here's more info on the accommodation.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
IS THE TRIP DANGEROUS?
Ukuwela, the land where you'll be working, does not have dangerous animals like elephants, rhinos, lions, and buffalo. That being said, you should strictly follow the safety training we give you on your first day. The chances of you getting into trouble are incredibly slim but remember, you are working in the African wilderness.
DO I NEED INOCULATIONS?
Rabies and tetanus inoculations may be required, but please check this with your local doctor and take their advice. Speak to your travel clinic with regards to malaria prophylaxis. Ukuwela is not a malaria area but if you intend to extend your trip to other parts of Africa you must ask their advice. It is also recommended that you bring a small first-aid kit with your regular medication and general items you might require while away from home – speak to your pharmacist about suggestions.
DO I NEED MY OWN INSURANCE?
Yes, you must have personal travel insurance for your trip. Please make sure it covers you for your entire trip.
SUPPLIES AND EQUIPMENT
WHAT SHALL I PACK?
We recommend that in addition to your normal clothes, you bring the following:
• Comfortable 'bush clothing'
• Heavy duty work gloves
• As you are joining us during the African Summer, you should bring shorts/cropped pants and t-shirts, since it will be hot at midday. Be aware you will need to cover up or use plenty of sunscreen and a hat
• Fleece/Sweater (for cooler evenings)
• Hat/peak cap
• Lightweight waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers
• Lightweight long-sleeved cotton tops and long trousers (to keep mosquitoes off).
• Walking/hiking shoes (comfortable, waterproof if possible). High socks are recommended.
• Sandals or flip-flops
• Sunscreen lotion (factor 40 or higher) and a lip balm with SPF.
• Large water bottles
• A small rucksack to take with you on road trips to hold your sunscreen, snacks, water bottle, hand-sanitizer, camera, etc.
• Camera and lots of film or a large memory card. We recommend a camera with a big zoom. The bigger the better for wildlife photos!
• Binoculars if you own any
• A torch/flashlight/headlamp
• Spare batteries (for your torch/camera etc.) We encourage the use of rechargeable batteries
• Mosquito and tick repellent
• Cream to soothe mosquito and insect bites (e.g. Anthisan or any mepyramine cream).
• A basic personal supply of first aid items (such as plasters for blisters, painkillers, eye drops, cold capsules, allergy meds, diarrhoea/nausea tablets, etc).
• Your personal toiletries (shampoo/conditioner/soap/toothpaste etc).
• Any medications you may require
• If you wear glasses or contact lenses, it is advisable to bring spare/back-up options.
• A travel journal, should you wish to record your experience.
• Mosquito net
• Towels for swimming etc. (All bed linens and towels are provided in the accommodation)
• Snacks (nuts/biscuits/bars)
• Cell phone if you have one (with charger). We recommend you purchase a SIM in South Africa if you plan to post and check social media! It will be much more affordable to use the local telecom providers. If you have an iPhone it needs to be unlocked for you to use a South African SIM (ie paid in full for most providers). You can pre-order a SIM for pickup at Durban airport here: https://b4i.travel/za/
WHAT SHALL I WEAR WHEN I'M WORKING?
We strongly recommend that you bring old, light and comfortable clothes to work in. Bear in mind that the activities are quite physical and will be done outdoors. Bring a lightweight raincoat and sunblock. Closed, comfortable shoes are a must!
WHAT SHALL I WEAR AT THE LODGE?
Please wear neat and presentable clothes when you are at the lodge.
IS THERE CELL SERVICE?
Mobile phones operate with full reception and it is recommended that you bring one with you. SIM cards are cheap and readily available. You will need to ensure your phone is unlocked to use a different SIM card. If your phone isn't unlocked speak to your mobile service provider about their policies and charges for setting up international phone services.
IS THERE WIFI?
There is wifi at the Umkhumbi lodge reception.
WHAT ADAPTER SHALL I BRING?
South Africa takes a three pronged adapter. Make sure to get the large one as there's a similar smaller one that does not work. We once made this mistake.
CAN I CANCEL MY TRIP AFTER I HAVE SIGNED UP?
Yes, but we hope you understand that we must charge a small cancellation fee as it may be too late for us to find a replacement volunteer.
TWO MONTHS OUT
If you need to cancel your trip any time before 2 months from departure, we will retain your initial deposit of $1000 you paid when signing the contract.
LESS THAN ONE MONTH OUT
If you need to cancel your trip with less than one month to go, there will be a cancelation fee of $500 plus your $1000 deposit.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask here.
If you're ready to reserve one of the ten spaces please fill out the form here.